Looking for something?

Saturday, April 18, 2020

When Two Become One (Part Nine)


Prompt: Spring |  Genre: Fantasy  |  Word count: 250 words


Einarr blinked. Looked around. Frowned.

He stood up and poked the meat, ‘Tender.’

He passed a hand across his face. Shook his head. Smiled to himself. He turned around still smiling when his eyes fell on the bow.

“Holy Gods!”

***

Runa stared at the meat.

Einarr shifted, “I know you don’t like the rotta but isn’t it better than grubs?”

“Grubs aren’t evil.”

“It’s just meat!!” Einarr pushed away from the table.

She got up and placed her hand on his shoulder, “Love, I’m not ungrateful. But my father...”

“Your father is not here! I am!”

Jolted, she walked out.

***

She stood shivering in the night.

Einarr placed a cloak around her shoulders, “Forgive me, sweetheart.”

She didn’t speak for a while. When she did, he had to lean in close to hear her.

“My father kept telling them to remember the Oath, the Old Ways. But they didn’t listen. Yet, when the Plague came, he...”, she sobbed into her hands.

“He’d asked me to take care of you. But I...”, he held her, his tears drenching her hair.

She turned around in his embrace and they held each other as they remembered, lived, hoped.

***

As she washed the meat down her throat, she frowned, “It tastes like...”

“The Spring of the Gods.”

They looked at each other and at the pitcher of water.

***

Raven watched the lights go out in the little house.

Bring forthThe pure, the profaneFlame and flood, famine and feastAs your Peace Offering!

No comments:

Post a Comment