Looking for something?

Monday, May 25, 2020

The Hunt Begins (Part Seventeen)

Prompt: Website |  Genre: Fantasy  |  Word count: 300 words


She wrinkled her nose at the sight of the Thrall scrubbing off the remains of the dead creature, “Darling, you can’t just kill off a Drengr every time they bring in bad news.”

“I can always make more.”

“Really? You are aware we’re running out, aren’t you?”

“Then I’ll dig more!”, he slammed his fist on the table.

“Stop being a baby.”

“How dare...”

“You know as well as I do, that “digging more” is pointless. We need to get to the Heilagr Jǫrđ Fjǫr, before that child does.”

“You don’t really believe that prophecy?”

She raised an eyebrow. His eyes shied away.

“There’s no scent, no trace. Only the fjǫr hold that power. Your creatures are powerless against them. I’ll have to hunt them myself. I need a team of your best humans.”

“We don’t have enough...”

“You won’t have any if we let them go,” her eyes burned into him.

“I... I’ll arrange it.”

“Good.”

***

“Fála herself is on the hunt.”

“Are you sure?”

“You doubt my source, Raven?”

Raven laughed, “No my dear friend! Your web is cast everywhere.”

“Except there!” Spider shook herself, her web swaying with her. “Such a filthy place!”
“I feast on Death. But what they’ve created....”

They looked at the man and woman, sitting on a tree trunk.

“Why should we help them? After all they’ve done?”

“We need them to stop the curse.”

Spider looked at the woman’s belly, “It’s not yet time.”

“I’ll have to buy some,” Raven looked pointedly at her.

She nodded, “I’ll pass on the news.”

“Thank you. Be careful. Fála knows how important you are.”

Spider nodded.

“Farewell, Spider. We shall meet again at Heilagr Jǫrđ.”

“We shall meet again,” she said before scrambling up to the centre of her web and disappearing right through it.

No comments:

Post a Comment